Thursday, August 2, 2012

Why am I the kind of lawyer I am? My Faith Drives Me to Do What I Do - its how I'm made

I have been asked why I practice the kind of law I practice. Why do I defend indigent criminals? Why do I want to help someone who has been taken advantage of by an unscrupulous merchant or who was fired by an uncaring boss? Why would I want to sue a doctor for negligence or go after a contractor? Why would I file against a stockbroker or financial advisor who invested money for someone? Why would I take on bullies at work or in school? Why would I want to sue a company just because someone got hurt on the job? Why represent a small business owner in a contract dispute against a large company?

You could make more money practicing a different kind of law, I'm told. You don't want to be an ambulance chaser (which is true). You don't want to advertise for massive amounts of car wreck clients (also true). So, how are you going to be successful? You always pick the underdog?

I guess I always have. I think it's in my nature. When I was in kindergarten, we used to play a game where the boys would "capture" the girls and put them in jail (the monkey bars). I switched teams and stuck up for the girls. At that time, I was the biggest and strongest boy, so I turned the tide on the other boys. Why did I do that? I don't know.

My parents tell me that when I was a small child, if I saw someone in a wheelchair or with a cast on, I would walk up to them and ask them if they were okay and what happened.

I've always felt for the underdog - the injured party. When I read the newspaper, I react emotionally to situations where it seems like someone has suffered from an injustice. It's how God made me.

There are three, specific Bible passages that guide me. In Matthew 25:35-40 Jesus teaches: For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me...when? ... "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."

As I said, I have always had it in my nature to help people who would be considered "the least of these." But, when I became a Christian and I read these words, they touched me deep inside. They rang true and crystallized what I knew was right. I try to use my skills, talents and gifts to help "the least of these brothers of mine."

Proverbs 31: 8 & 9 served to strengthen my belief that this was the right thing to do. There, wisdom teaches us to "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy."

These words are compelling to me. When I think of them in the context of my work, it encourages me to use my position to help people who have no voice, or who can't be heard. It makes me want to stand up against Goliath.

Both these verses help me overcome the fear that rises up inside when I think about who I'm battling against, about their resources and influence. It helps me overcome that obstacle.

Finally, I believe that our society has turned good and bad on its head. And there is no greater hypocrite than the modern church (on a personal level - there are many wonderful and dedicated individuals - here I am speaking about the church politic). I try to make a difference in what I do because I think that God wants us to be concerned about doing justice - making sure that the least of those in our society have a chance to taste justice and love.

Amos 5:18-24 helps me explain why I believe we must take action to insure that people have justice in this County.

"Woe to you who long for the day of the Lord! Why do you long for the day of the Lord? That day will be darkness, not light. It will be as though a man fled from a lion only to meet a bear, as though he entered his house and rested his hand on the wall only to have a snake bite him...I hate, I despise your religious feasts; I cannot stand your assemblies...Away with the noise of your songs! I will not listen to the music of your harps...

"But, let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream!"

I believe that it is part of my mandate as a believer to make sure that justice is done. In general, our society has failed to provide justice. And, when I look at the modern church, I want to tell them to read these words and take it to heart. Stop condemning and show the love that you have been shown to others. Stop building yourself up and ignoring the least of these brothers of ours. We need to help people in need, people who are being discriminated against, people who suffer, people who are difficult to love.

This is why I practice the kind of law that I do. And, I hope my practice grows. Not so that I can make a lot of money, but so I will have the opportunity to help people in need. So, that, maybe, someday, Jesus will tell me that I helped him when I helped the least of these brothers of mine.

Bob Vogel, rlvogel@robertvogellaw.com

The Vogel Law Firm


No comments:

Post a Comment